‘Highly polluting industries concentrate in Palghar’
Thane: Palghar in this tribal-dominated district is fast emerging as a hub of highly-polluted industries categorised as "red" by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, according to a report.
Painting a bleak picture, a recent report of the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB) mentions that out of 7418 classified industries in the district, 2384 or 32 per cent fall in the Red zone, while Palghar accounts for 754 such industrial units.
While the tribal hamlet of Wada tops the list under the "orange" category with 205 units, Palghar tops "green" category with 809 industries followed by Thane having 709 such factories, the report says.
All those industries or processes which are not covered under the "Red" and/or "Orange" category are classified as "Green".
According to another report, foreign investment in industrial units in Thane district has gone up substantially.
There are 10 Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in the district covering an area of 503 hectares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption