‘Highly polluting industries concentrate in Palghar’
Thane: Palghar in this tribal-dominated district is fast emerging as a hub of highly-polluted industries categorised as "red" by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, according to a report.
Painting a bleak picture, a recent report of the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB) mentions that out of 7418 classified industries in the district, 2384 or 32 per cent fall in the Red zone, while Palghar accounts for 754 such industrial units.
While the tribal hamlet of Wada tops the list under the "orange" category with 205 units, Palghar tops "green" category with 809 industries followed by Thane having 709 such factories, the report says.
All those industries or processes which are not covered under the "Red" and/or "Orange" category are classified as "Green".
According to another report, foreign investment in industrial units in Thane district has gone up substantially.
There are 10 Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in the district covering an area of 503 hectares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble