Hinduism no religion, Shiva a "superpower": IT tribunal
Mumbai: Outlandish it may appear but an Income Tax Tribunal in Maharashtra has held that Hinduism is not a religion and Shiva, Hanuman or Goddess Durga are regarded as "superpowers of the universe" and do not represent a particular religion.
The Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, Nagpur, in a recent order, said the expenses on worshipping Hindu deities and maintenance of temple could not be considered as religious activity.
"Technically, Hinduism is neither a religion nor Hindus form a religious community.
Therefore, expenses incurred for worshipping Shiva, Hanuman or Durga and for maintenance of temples cannot be regarded to be for religious purposes. They are merely regarded to be the superpower of the universe," it said.
The order by accountant-member PK Bansal and judicial member DT Garasia came on an appeal filed by `Shiv Mandir Devsthan Panch Committee Sanstan` against an order of Income Tax Commissioner of Nagpur, who had denied the trust an exemption on the ground that more than 5 per cent of its expenses had been on religious activities, thus rendering it ineligible for such concession.
The case pertains to expenses incurred by the trust in 2008 and the tax benefit sought under Section 80G(5)(vi) of the Income Tax Act, 1961 which says "charitable purpose" does not include a purpose which is of a "religious nature".
The CIT took the view that the expenses for building maintenance, offering free food and festival prayers as also daily expenses, and those for imparting tailoring and yoga training, and free distribution of opticals, totalling Rs 82,977 were religious in nature and expenses of only Rs 6,700 were for non-religious objectives, the ITAT order said.
However, the Sanstan said the temple run by it was open to everyone, irrespective of caste and creed and that "the temple does not belong to a particular religion. Installing idols is not a religious activity".
The trust claimed that maintenance expenses incurred on the building was a charitable and not religious activity.
"The I-T commissioner must be aware that Hindus are a number of communities having different gods who are being worshipped differently, with different rituals and follow ethical codes. Even worship of god is not essential for a person who has adopted Hinduism as a way of life," the ITAT said.
In the instant case, the ITAT order said, since nothing had been brought by IT authorities to prove that the activity carried out by the trust was religious in nature, the onus now lay with the Revenue Department to prove that the assessee trust was "wholly or substantially for religious purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks