Holi powder kills one on Mumbai train
Mumbai: One commuter was killed and five others injured after they fell down from the footboard of a running suburban train, when some miscreants threw a chemical-laced Holi powder at them, police said Tuesday.
The incident took place around 8 p.m. Monday night when the victims were travelling on the footboard of a crowded Dadar-Thane local train.
"The powder caused severe injuries and a burning sensation in the eyes of the commuters and they lost their grip and balance and fell out of the running train," the official said.
Some miscreants threw a yellow powder at them from a local train speeding in the opposite direction, an official of Kurla Railway Police said.
G. Nityanand Ganpati, a 26-year-old resident of Chembur, died from the fall, while at least five others were injured, including two who are reported to be serious.
The Government Railway Police (GRP) have collected samples of the yellow powder and sent these for chemical analysis to determine its contents.
The police are also probing whether the powder could have been thrown from a bridge running above the railway lines in the vicinity.
The shocking incident took place barely hours after Mumbai police and the railways issued separate appeals to people to celebrate a safe Holi without troubling others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks