Maha Assembly adjourned over fund allocation to legislators
Mumbai: Maharashtra Legislative Assembly was adjourned for the day today after Opposition legislators created noisy scenes, protesting the "disparity" in allocation of development funds to them.
Soon after the House commenced proceedings, Opposition Shiv Sena-BJP members began shouting slogans, decrying the state government for the "uneven" quantum of funds for ruling and Opposition legislators.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse alleged the Congress- NCP government had favoured legislators from the ruling parties while allocating funds for development.
Industry minister Narayan Rane and PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal objected to Opposition legislators creating noisy scenes while Khadse was speaking.
As the slogan shouting continued, Speaker Dilip Walse Patil announced suspension of the Question Hour. When the House resumed proceedings again, the noisy scenes continued, prompting Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke, who was in the chair, to adjourn the House for half-an-hour.
When the proceedings began again, the slogan shouting continued. Purke appealed the legislators to maintain decorum and allow passage of a resolution congratulating officers and jawans of the Indian armed forces for the valour they displayed during relief and rescue operations in Uttarakhand.
However, the legislators were in no mood to relent, following which Purke adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees