Maha Assembly adjourned over fund allocation to legislators
Mumbai: Maharashtra Legislative Assembly was adjourned for the day today after Opposition legislators created noisy scenes, protesting the "disparity" in allocation of development funds to them.
Soon after the House commenced proceedings, Opposition Shiv Sena-BJP members began shouting slogans, decrying the state government for the "uneven" quantum of funds for ruling and Opposition legislators.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse alleged the Congress- NCP government had favoured legislators from the ruling parties while allocating funds for development.
Industry minister Narayan Rane and PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal objected to Opposition legislators creating noisy scenes while Khadse was speaking.
As the slogan shouting continued, Speaker Dilip Walse Patil announced suspension of the Question Hour. When the House resumed proceedings again, the noisy scenes continued, prompting Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke, who was in the chair, to adjourn the House for half-an-hour.
When the proceedings began again, the slogan shouting continued. Purke appealed the legislators to maintain decorum and allow passage of a resolution congratulating officers and jawans of the Indian armed forces for the valour they displayed during relief and rescue operations in Uttarakhand.
However, the legislators were in no mood to relent, following which Purke adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe