Maha Congress likely to undergo overhaul soon
Mumbai: In the wake of its drubbing in the
Maharashtra civic polls, the state unit of Congress may soon
see a major organisational reshuffle, party sources said.
The overhaul plan comes at a time when the Congress has
faced poll debacles in Assembly elections in five states.
Although the overall performance of Congress in the recent
local bodies and municipal corporation elections in the state
was satisfactory, the party`s central leadership is reportedly
upset since the NCP has overtaken the party in terms of vote
share and in the total number of seats.
The central leadership considers this a wake-up call for
the party as the NCP may demand the Chief Minister`s post if
the Congress-NCP coalition wins the 2014 Assembly elections.
According to sources, the central leadership is toying
with the idea of overhauling the state unit along with the
The leadership is of the view that NCP had surged ahead of
Congress in the local bodies elections because of
"Even though the AICC is unhappy with the Chief Minister`s
performance, their assessment is that Prithviraj Chavan has
been able to get rid of the corrupt image of the state,"
sources said, adding that Chavan would continue to be the
Chief Minister "as there is no credible alternative".
The organisational reshuffle is expected after the budget
session, sources added.
Incumbent state unit president Manikrao Thakre, who has
held the post for more than three years, may be inducted
into the ministry, they said. Thakre`s term in the legislative
council ends in July and he is likely to be re-nominated.
Among names being considered to replace Thakre are social
justice minister Shivajirao Moghe, EGS minister Nitin Raut,
OBC leader Sudhakar Gangane, Rajya Sabha member Hussain
Dalwai, senior leader Rohidas Patil and Lok Sabha MP Jaywant
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani