Maha Congress likely to undergo overhaul soon
Mumbai: In the wake of its drubbing in the
Maharashtra civic polls, the state unit of Congress may soon
see a major organisational reshuffle, party sources said.
The overhaul plan comes at a time when the Congress has
faced poll debacles in Assembly elections in five states.
Although the overall performance of Congress in the recent
local bodies and municipal corporation elections in the state
was satisfactory, the party`s central leadership is reportedly
upset since the NCP has overtaken the party in terms of vote
share and in the total number of seats.
The central leadership considers this a wake-up call for
the party as the NCP may demand the Chief Minister`s post if
the Congress-NCP coalition wins the 2014 Assembly elections.
According to sources, the central leadership is toying
with the idea of overhauling the state unit along with the
The leadership is of the view that NCP had surged ahead of
Congress in the local bodies elections because of
"Even though the AICC is unhappy with the Chief Minister`s
performance, their assessment is that Prithviraj Chavan has
been able to get rid of the corrupt image of the state,"
sources said, adding that Chavan would continue to be the
Chief Minister "as there is no credible alternative".
The organisational reshuffle is expected after the budget
session, sources added.
Incumbent state unit president Manikrao Thakre, who has
held the post for more than three years, may be inducted
into the ministry, they said. Thakre`s term in the legislative
council ends in July and he is likely to be re-nominated.
Among names being considered to replace Thakre are social
justice minister Shivajirao Moghe, EGS minister Nitin Raut,
OBC leader Sudhakar Gangane, Rajya Sabha member Hussain
Dalwai, senior leader Rohidas Patil and Lok Sabha MP Jaywant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees