Maharashtra cabinet clears proposal to construct Shivaji statue
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Maharashtra cabinet on Wednesday cleared the proposal for constructing Chhatrapati Shivaji statue in Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said.
Chavan has claimed that the statue will be tallest in the world and that the location for the construction of the statue has also been cleared by the state government.
A budget of Rs 100 crore has also been set aside for the construction of the statue.
Reportedly, the statue of the warrior king facing the Marine Drive in South Mumbai, will be taller than the proposed Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue (182 metres) in Gujarat.
The step is seen as a move to counter Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s proposal to construct a Sardar Patel statue in the state ahead of the Lok Sabha elections 2014.
Modi`s project is due to come up on Narmada River banks.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH