Maharashtra cabinet clears proposal to construct Shivaji statue
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Maharashtra cabinet on Wednesday cleared the proposal for constructing Chhatrapati Shivaji statue in Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said.
Chavan has claimed that the statue will be tallest in the world and that the location for the construction of the statue has also been cleared by the state government.
A budget of Rs 100 crore has also been set aside for the construction of the statue.
Reportedly, the statue of the warrior king facing the Marine Drive in South Mumbai, will be taller than the proposed Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue (182 metres) in Gujarat.
The step is seen as a move to counter Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s proposal to construct a Sardar Patel statue in the state ahead of the Lok Sabha elections 2014.
Modi`s project is due to come up on Narmada River banks.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department