Maharashtra cabinet clears proposal to construct Shivaji statue
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Maharashtra cabinet on Wednesday cleared the proposal for constructing Chhatrapati Shivaji statue in Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said.
Chavan has claimed that the statue will be tallest in the world and that the location for the construction of the statue has also been cleared by the state government.
A budget of Rs 100 crore has also been set aside for the construction of the statue.
Reportedly, the statue of the warrior king facing the Marine Drive in South Mumbai, will be taller than the proposed Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue (182 metres) in Gujarat.
The step is seen as a move to counter Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s proposal to construct a Sardar Patel statue in the state ahead of the Lok Sabha elections 2014.
Modi`s project is due to come up on Narmada River banks.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened