Maharashtra govt plans financial aid for rape, acid attack victims
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has prepared a comprehensive support and rehabilitation scheme for the victims of rape, sexual assault and acid attacks.
Compensation ranging from Rs 50,000 to a maximum of Rs 3 lakh will be given to the victims of not just acid attack, but also rape, officials said.
The scheme involves paying compensation to the victim and also counselling, medical and legal help and education as well as vocational education for earning a living.
The compensation for victims ranges from Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakh in normal cases and maximum of Rs 3 lakh in severe attacks.
According to the statistics provided by the state CID, as many as 17,777 cases of sexual harassment were registered between January and October 2012.
The state is expecting an expenditure of around Rs 35 crore per year, given the number of cases of sexual assault and acid attacks registered in Maharashtra, officials added.
The state is expected to come up with the policy soon after the proposal is formally approved in the Cabinet and the disbursal of compensation will be done by a committee headed by the district collectors.
"Decision on the amount of compensation as per the case will be taken by the committee," an official said.
The scheme is proposed to be in force till the time central government enacts a similar policy for aid of such victims.
With the Finance Department giving a go-ahead for the scheme, the Women and Child Welfare Ministry hopes that the Cabinet will clear the proposal soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH