Man sells wife to buy liquor, arrested
Mumbai: An alcoholic has been arrested for allegedly selling his wife to a friend for Rs.25,000 to finance his drinking, police said on Sunday.
The incident occurred in June in Akola town, 625 km from Mumbai, in Vidarbha when Pundlik Chavan "sold" his wife Sangita to his friend Ganesh Walode of Madhya Pradesh, police said. The woman`s sister lodged a police complaint July 12, after which Chavan was arrested.
However, Sangita told police that she was in a relationship with Walode. After being "sold", she married Walode. Chavan and Walode have been remanded to police custody till July 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand