Minor fire on naval warship INS Ganga, 3 injured
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Mumbai: Three persons including a navy personnel received burn injuries after a fire broke out onboard INS Ganga, which was going through routine maintenance and refit at the Naval Dockyard here on Friday.
According to naval sources, the incident occurred around 11:50 am when welding work was going on onboard the naval ship.
"During the welding work, the (welding) gun took time to ignite and when it did, thick flames erupted from the gun, injuring three people including two civilians," the sources said.
"It was a minor accident in which three people sustained burns. They have been taken to the naval dispensary for first said," the sources added.
Soon after the incident, the three sailors were brought aboard the ship and rushed to the INHS Asvini hospital at Colaba for treatment.
Meanwhile, the Navy has begun a probe to find out what caused the explosion at the boiler of the warship.
This is the seventh incident in less than four and a half month in 2014 and 16th incident since 2000.
INS Ganga was deployed for patrolling the Gulf of Eden in 2012 to protect the marine jurisdiction from the Somali pirates.
This incident comes few weeks after the tragic death of at least seven sailors in a mishap involving the Russian-origin Kilo Class submarine INS Sindhuratna, 40 nautical miles off the coast of Mumbai.
In March this year, INS Kolkata was hit by an accident at the Mazgaon Dock in Mumbai claiming the life of a Commander and hospitalisation of two dockyard employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections