NIA gets 8 days custody of Mumbai blast accused Tahir
Kochi: A special CBI court today handed over custody of Tahir Merchant, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blast case and in fake Indian Furrency Notes case in Kerala in 2008, to the National Investigation Agency till November 16 for questioning.
Tahir, brought by train to Kochi at 4.30 AM this morning from Mumbai, admist heavy security, was produced before the court which is hearing NIA cases.
A heavy posse of policemen, including Mumbai police personnel were present when he was produced before Special Judge S Vijaykumar in his chamber. Dog and Bomb squad personnel were also present in the court premises.
Earlier, on a plea by NIA seeking custody of Tahir for questioning in the fake currency case, the court had issued a warrant on Sept 29 this year, directing Superintendent of the Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai to produce him on Nov 9 for questioning.
Tahir, arrested by CBI in June, is in jail in connection with the Mumbai blast case.
Tahir Mohammed, 10th accused in the case, is considered a close aide of Dawood Ibrahim and Tiger Memon and was working as manager of a carpet ship in Sharjah. He was arrested by CBI following his deportation from Abu Dhabi in June 2010 from the Mumbai airport.
According to NIA, information given by him revealed that the source of the fake currency was traced to Ibrahim Bhai, a national of Pakistan.
In the FICN case, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence on Aug 16, 2008, seized counterfeit notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 denominations with a total face value of Rs 72.5 lakh from Mohammed Alshah, who arrived at Kozhikode airport from Ras al-Khaima. Three of his accomplices who had come to receive him at the airport were also arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27