Nod to set up six nuclear power plants at Jaitapur
New Delhi: The government has given approval for setting up six nuclear power plants with assistance from French company Areva at Jaitapur in Maharashtra, Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy told the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He said during Question Hour that work on two units of 1,650 MW each is expected to start in the current Plan period.
"The government has accorded in-principle approval for locating six units of Light Water Reactors each of 1,650 MW capacity at Jaitapur in technical co-operation with France," Narayanasamy said.
On members` apprehension about displacement of people due to the project, he said there was no habitation at the site proposed for the Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project.
"There is neither displacement of people at the site nor any requirement of resettlement of any person," he said.
Assuring the House that there is absolutely no threat from the power plant, he said world over at least eight such units were being built on the Light Water Reactors technology developed by Areva.
"Construction work is going on in three such plants in Finland, three in France and two in China. We are going to build the power plant on that technology," Narayanaswamy said.
To a query by Bharatkumar Raut (Shiv Sena), the Minister said the proposed plant would not pose any problem for fishermen close to the plant site since it is being built at a height of 20 meters above the sea level.
"The observation that fishermen will be affected is absolutely not correct. The living fishes in the sea will not be affected," Narayanasamy said.
India has 20 nuclear reactors, of which 19 are in operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why