NRI trying to mediate scuffle thrashed; critical
Mumbai: A US-based diamond merchant is battling for life in a hospital after being thrashed with a baseball bat when he tried to play peacemaker between two motorists following a road accident.
The NRI victim, Sanjay Jaiswal (35), who was admitted to the ICU of Nanavati Hospital, is in critical condition, police said.
The accused Indrajit Sawant (35), a manager in a private firm, has been arrested on the charge of attempt to murder and remanded in police custody till June 12.
According to police, on Wednesday evening, Rishi Gandhi, an executive with a private company, had gone to collect his Maruti car from a service centre in Kalina. As his car came out of the lane, it collided with a Chevrolet Optra being driven by Sawant.
Furious Sawant barged out of his car with a baseball bat and smashed windscreen of Maruti car before assaulting Gandhi.
Jaiswal, who was on evening walk, saw the commotion and tried to save Gandhi from being beaten up by Sawant. After a while, Sawant hit Jaiswal on his head with the baseball bat.
Seeing this, the onlookers got enraged and assaulted Sawant and smashed his car.
While Gandhi was discharged with minor injuries, Jaiswal, who was on a holiday here, is still battling for life.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference