Officials denied bail in Thane building collapse case
Thane: A local court on Friday rejected the bail applications of four officials of Thane Municipal Corporation in a case related to last month`s building collapse in the district in which 74 persons were killed.
Judge K R Warrier said as the probe was on and the chargesheet was yet to be filed, bail can not be granted.
He rejected the applications of Deputy Municipal Commissioners Deepak Chavan and Srikant Sarmokadam, engineer Ramesh Inamdar, and Assistant Municipal Commissioner Shyam Thorbole.
The corporation officials are accused of turning a blind eye when the seven-story building, which had no permissions whatsoever, was coming up in Shil Phata area near Mumbra.
They are accused of taking bribes from the builder.
Other accused too have sought bail, their applications would be decided tomorrow. A total of 22 persons are in judicial custody in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket