Officials denied bail in Thane building collapse case
Thane: A local court on Friday rejected the bail applications of four officials of Thane Municipal Corporation in a case related to last month`s building collapse in the district in which 74 persons were killed.
Judge K R Warrier said as the probe was on and the chargesheet was yet to be filed, bail can not be granted.
He rejected the applications of Deputy Municipal Commissioners Deepak Chavan and Srikant Sarmokadam, engineer Ramesh Inamdar, and Assistant Municipal Commissioner Shyam Thorbole.
The corporation officials are accused of turning a blind eye when the seven-story building, which had no permissions whatsoever, was coming up in Shil Phata area near Mumbra.
They are accused of taking bribes from the builder.
Other accused too have sought bail, their applications would be decided tomorrow. A total of 22 persons are in judicial custody in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan