Oil spill near Mumbai: Show cause notice issued to ONGC
New Delhi: Concerned over environmental damage caused due to an oil spill off Uran coast near Mumbai, the Environment Ministry on Thursday constituted a team to inspect the site and issued a show cause notice to Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
The ministry also ordered the closure of the faulty ONGC pipeline responsible for the spill.
"A show cause notice is being issued to ONGC to explain why action should not be taken against them (ONGC) under Environment Protection Act 1986," an MoEF statement signed by Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan said.
An oil spill was reported at Mumbai-Uran Trunk oil pipeline near Mumbai following a rupture in ONGC`s main pipeline that carries crude from the offshore Mumbai High fields to land.
The inspection team would be headed by member secretary of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) JS Kamyotra. The team will make an immediate site inspection and submit its report to the ministry by October 14, the MoEF statement said.
ONGC had earlier said the oil leakage has been controlled and measures have been initiated to deal with the small spill in the sea. There was power tripping due to rains, which led to a small leakage developing in the pipeline, an ONGC official had earlier said.
The Mumbai-Uran Trunk oil pipeline had ruptured in January 2011, causing a major oil spill 80 km from the Mumbai coast. The spill had spread to around 4 sq km.
In August, an oil spill has been reported in the coastal areas of Gulf of Khambhat following a rupture in ONGC`s pipeline near Bhadbhut village of Bharuch district of Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’