PAC suggests SIT-CBI probe into construction irregularities
Mumbai: Alleging that a private developer made profits of over Rs 5000 crore at the expense of the state government, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Maharashtra Legislature has recommended a SIT probe coupled with a CBI inquiry into the construction of New Maharashtra Sadan in New Delhi as well as Andheri RTO and High Mount Guest House here.
The PAC report which is headed by BJP MLA Girish Bapat said the CAG has already pointed out irregularities in the construction.
"The PAC spoke to departmental secretaries, sought written explanations and inspected the work done as well. The Committee is of the opinion that rules were not followed while getting work done from the developer. Proper MOU was not done and extensions were given which resulted in losses to the government. RTO`s testing track and residential building works are still incomplete and the quality of work is not good," Bapat said while tabling the PAC report in the Legislative Assembly.
He said tenders were not issued and the government has not benefited in any way.
"The developer seems to have made profit of more than Rs 5000 crore. All aspects of the project should be probed by a Special Investigative team (SIT) and the report should be submitted in six months. Since the project is inter-state, the probe should be handed over to the CBI after the SIT report is obtained," he added.
Bapat said the Committee was not happy with the quality of work of the New Maharashtra Sadan.
"The consultant and architects appointed by the government have not done their work properly. We have suggested a third party audit in the work of New Maharashtra Sadan," he said.
Bapat pointed out that the New Maharashtra Sadan has inadequate accommodation facilities for legislators and parliamentarians and more space for bureaucrats.
"The opening ceremony at the hands of the President was done of an incomplete construction," the Committee said.
The High Mount Guest House re-development work has not been completed for 7-8 years and the developer has not been penalised by the government, the Committee said.
As part of the BOT arrangement, besides the new Maharashtra Sadan, the developer was to develop facilities at Andheri RTO, a SRA project and a guest house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations