Peaceful protests in Mumbai to mourn death of gang-rape victim
Mumbai: The death of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim Saturday prompted peaceful protests and sharp reactions from political leaders and activists, with people from all walks of life joining in condolence meets and peace marches here.
RPI chief Ramdas Athawale mourned the girl`s death, and asked his party workers not to celebrate the new year. On December 31, RPI workers would hold a candle march from Colaba to Gateway of India here, he said.
"Words can`t express my sorrow," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said. "The real tribute to the brave girl would be to eradicate the menace of such inhuman behaviour from the society," he said.
BJP workers also held a condolence meet at Azad Maidan.
Actress and activist Shabana Azmi, who walked in a silent protest march from Juhu beach to Kaifi Azmi Park, termed the death as a "clarion call", saying that "we cannot let the anger pass. It will be a greater betrayal. We have to do some soul searching".
Activists of the Aam Admi Party also held a peace march here. "We are torn between abject misery of losing her, extreme anger at a system that failed to protect her and the guilt that somewhere we are responsible for the crime," a party spokesperson said.
"We will channelise this grief, this anger, this guilt to make our country safer for her sisters. We dedicate ourselves to change the mindsets that allow such heinous behaviour to exist. We will protest relentlessly till such time that speedy justice systems are created for abuse victims and such strong punishments are meted out that they deter the inhuman creatures amongst us from even considering such crimes," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door