Protest against corrupt slum redevelopment practices in Mumbai
Mumbai: The agitation led by social activist Medha Patkar against alleged corrupt practices in slum re-development in Mumbai, entered its eighth day on Tuesday, with Anna Hazare meeting the protesters and expressing support to the cause.
Hazare, who met Patkar and other protesters at the Azad Maidan, venue of the protest and a relay hunger strike, expressed support for the agitation and said he would discuss the issue with chief minister Prithviraj Chavan
Hundreds of aggrieved slum-dwellers have joined the protest, demanding accountability and reform in slum re-development practices.
The protest would continue till demands for dignified housing for slum dwellers were met, Patkar said.
The "Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao" agitation would continue till the state government assures justice for slum-dwellers by implementing the Rajiv Awas Yojana and probes allegations of corruption against the developers, she said.
The builder-state nexus has been instrumental in grabbing land in the city, Patkar said. "There is a collaboration between the builders and politicians, which has resulted in the biggest land scam in Mumbai.
"The state government is hand in glove with the builder lobby and industrialists to commercialise homes allotted to the poor people. The government should initiate an inquiry into allegations of corruption against the builders," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen army camp: Officials
- iBerry launches 'India's first 4GB Ram unibody smartphone' at Rs 15,990