Protest against corrupt slum redevelopment practices in Mumbai
Mumbai: The agitation led by social activist Medha Patkar against alleged corrupt practices in slum re-development in Mumbai, entered its eighth day on Tuesday, with Anna Hazare meeting the protesters and expressing support to the cause.
Hazare, who met Patkar and other protesters at the Azad Maidan, venue of the protest and a relay hunger strike, expressed support for the agitation and said he would discuss the issue with chief minister Prithviraj Chavan
Hundreds of aggrieved slum-dwellers have joined the protest, demanding accountability and reform in slum re-development practices.
The protest would continue till demands for dignified housing for slum dwellers were met, Patkar said.
The "Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao" agitation would continue till the state government assures justice for slum-dwellers by implementing the Rajiv Awas Yojana and probes allegations of corruption against the developers, she said.
The builder-state nexus has been instrumental in grabbing land in the city, Patkar said. "There is a collaboration between the builders and politicians, which has resulted in the biggest land scam in Mumbai.
"The state government is hand in glove with the builder lobby and industrialists to commercialise homes allotted to the poor people. The government should initiate an inquiry into allegations of corruption against the builders," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand