Ragging victim jumps before local train in Mumbai, dies
Mumbai: A 19-year-old engineering student allegedly committed suicide by jumping before a local train after being fed up of ragging by his college-mates for the past two months, police said on Sunday.
The victim, Nitin Padalkar, ended his life by jumping before a running train at Kalyan railway station in the neighbouring Thane district on Friday evening, they said.
He has allegedly named two of his college-mates for harassing him in a suicide note, police said.
Padalkar, a second-year student of electronics and telecommunications at the Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology in Navi Mumbai, was depressed for quite sometime, police sources said.
Nitin left his house in Kalyan at around 6 pm on Friday saying that he was going to meet his friends. Later, his family got the news of his death at around 8.50 pm from police.
Based on the preliminary enquiry and the circumstances of the death, it is suspected that "Padalkar was a victim of ragging", police sources said.
"We will question two of his college-mates tomorrow," sources at Government Railway Police, Kalyan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'