Reduce ministers` security, give it to women: Sule
Amravati (Maharashtra): NCP MP Supriya Sule on Monday questioned the heavy security cover of the state ministers, and demanded that security personnel should be instead utilised for protecting the women.
Addressing a women`s rally organised by the party here, Sule ticked off the government for providing excess security to the ministers, who, she said, were representatives of the masses. "Who should they fear?" Sule asked, adding that the policemen deployed for minister`s security could be used to provide better security to women in the state.
NCP leader and Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil, as well as party chief and Union Minister Sharad Pawar were present on this occasion.
Sule also blamed the Congress-NCP government in the state for lacking the "mindset" for implementation of pro-women policies.
Police do not act promptly when women come to the police station with complaints, said Sule, who heads the `yuvati` (young women) cell of her party, demanding that every police station must have lady police personnel.
Later, R R Patil said that decision on cutting down the minister`s security would be taken "within eight days".
In the last five years, 17,000 women were inducted into police force and another 20,000 would be inducted in the next five years, the state Home Minister said.
Patil also said the criminal law should be amended to make molestation a non-bailable offence.
The state government would come out with an all-encompassing policy on women`s security, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide