Sena observes bandh in Kolhapur against Belgaum legislature
Kolhapur: A bandh was called by Shiv Sena in the border district here to protest the inauguration of the second legislature complex in Karnataka`s Belgaum on Thursday.
President Pranab Mukherjee is slated to inaugurate the `Suvarna Vidhana Soudha`, a Rs 400 crore second legislature complex here, amid objections by some political parties in Maharashtra, citing the boundary dispute between Karnataka and its neighbouring state.
Stray incidents of stone pelting were reported in the city during a march led by the Sena.
Shiv sainiks came out on the road at around 10 am and led a march during which some people allegedly pelted stones on autorickshaws and buses, police said.
Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti, Shiv Sena and other political parties in Maharashtra are in favour of maintaining a status-quo in the border area.
Earlier, Shiv Sena had appealed to the President not to inaugurate the new legislature building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...