`Seven Hills hospital, BMC fail to reach accord`
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has been informed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and multi-speciality hospital Seven Hills Healthcare have failed to arrive at an amicable solution in an ongoing dispute over 20 percent reservation of beds for poor patients.
In June this year, the High Court had appointed FI Rebello, the retired Chief Justice of Allahabad HC and former Bombay HC judge, as mediator in the dispute between the two warring parties.
However, a division bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and RD Dhanuka was informed earlier this week that the attempt to make both the parties reach a consensus could not materialise.
The matter will now be heard by the High Court.
The civic body has been at the loggerheads with the hospital management over 20 per cent reservation of beds for `poor and needy` patients. The corporation had issued a notice to the hospital directing them to vacate nearly seven-acre premises allotted to them in suburban Marol for violation of the No Objection Certificate (NOC).
The hospital had challenged the notice in the High Court.
In February this year the court, while observing that "someone somewhere was trying to stall smooth functioning of the hospital", asked BMC to grant an unconditional NOC.
However, senior counsel Venkatesh Dhond, appearing for the hospital, told the court that the fresh NOC issued by the civic body had the same conditions as the earlier one.
This irked the court which severely castigated the BMC for making a "mockery" of the court order.
The hospital had offered to construct a separate wing with 300 beds and hand it over to the corporation as a part of its condition to reserve some beds for the poor patients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city