Sharad Pawar concerned over declining work culture
Nagpur: Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Sunday stressed on the implementation of centrally sponsored projects like Maharashtra Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme but expressed concern over destruction of work culture among labourers.
"The employment guarantee scheme was launched from Maharashtra and later adopted by the Centre, but it was destroying work culture," Pawar told reporters here.
When the scheme was launched in 1972, about 45 lakh people were taking its benefits, but now a meagre 1.5 lakh benefit from it, he said.
The workers are simply enjoying the benefits and sitting idle, he regretted.
Similarly, the food grains at cheaper rates were beneficial for the poor in the long run. The Centre was spending huge amount on giving subsidy to the farmers, he said.
"If 67 percent of the population is still poor then what have we done to eradicate poverty after so many years?" Pawar asked.
On the land acquisition policy, Pawar said the farmers who were parting with the land must get adequate compensation, but a rise in compensation amount by 400 percent was in viable.
Citing example of Navi Mumbai international airport project, Pawar said the land acquisition proposal was for Rs five crores per acre which rose to Rs 20 crores per acre, which was not financially viable.
On the forthcoming Budget proposals, Pawar said the revenue collection was not complete and hence Finance Minister P Chidambaram will have a difficult task this year.
When asked about Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remarks on "Hindu terrorism", Pawar denied any knowledge of it but admitted that he had seen Home Secretary endorsing the views of the Home Minister.
"As Home Minister commands many intelligence agencies, he might be having inputs," Pawar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India