Shiv Sena misleading people on Jaitapur project: Ajit Pawar
Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Monday accused Shiv Sena of "misleading" people from the coastal Konkan region on the proposed Jaitapur nuclear power project.
"Investment to the tune of Rs one lakh crore is being made in the Jaitapur nuclear power project. However, the party is misleading people to oppose the project," Pawar said without naming Shiv Sena, which is reportedly opposing the project.
Pawar, who also holds Finance portfolio, was replying during the debate in Legislative Council on the Budget (2013-14) presented on March 20.
Shiv Sena is opposing the 9900-megawatt (MW) project alleging that it poses serious threat to the ecologically- sensitive Konkan region and against the interest of people.
Refuting the allegations by opposition parties that the state is on the brink of bankruptcy, Pawar said the state government`s borrowing from Centre was well within limits.
"The upper ceiling to borrow from Centre is Rs 48,603 crore. However, we are borrowing only Rs 24,324 crore from the government," he told the Upper House.
Pawar said the finance ministry under him was focusing on generation of more revenue from the state than seeking additional credit line from the Centre.
On Kumbh congregation to be held in Nashik in 2015, Pawar said a provision of Rs 550 crore was made in the budget for the purpose.
He said those who pay their power bills regularly will be spared from load-shedding. "The government is trying to find out an alternative in the form of hydro, thermal and solar energy to rein in power deficit," he said.
Pawar said the government would consider on "sympathetic" grounds to raise the budgetary provisions in Sports and Youth Policy when it comes up for discussion during the supplementary demands in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day