Shiv Sena misleading people on Jaitapur project: Ajit Pawar
Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Monday accused Shiv Sena of "misleading" people from the coastal Konkan region on the proposed Jaitapur nuclear power project.
"Investment to the tune of Rs one lakh crore is being made in the Jaitapur nuclear power project. However, the party is misleading people to oppose the project," Pawar said without naming Shiv Sena, which is reportedly opposing the project.
Pawar, who also holds Finance portfolio, was replying during the debate in Legislative Council on the Budget (2013-14) presented on March 20.
Shiv Sena is opposing the 9900-megawatt (MW) project alleging that it poses serious threat to the ecologically- sensitive Konkan region and against the interest of people.
Refuting the allegations by opposition parties that the state is on the brink of bankruptcy, Pawar said the state government`s borrowing from Centre was well within limits.
"The upper ceiling to borrow from Centre is Rs 48,603 crore. However, we are borrowing only Rs 24,324 crore from the government," he told the Upper House.
Pawar said the finance ministry under him was focusing on generation of more revenue from the state than seeking additional credit line from the Centre.
On Kumbh congregation to be held in Nashik in 2015, Pawar said a provision of Rs 550 crore was made in the budget for the purpose.
He said those who pay their power bills regularly will be spared from load-shedding. "The government is trying to find out an alternative in the form of hydro, thermal and solar energy to rein in power deficit," he said.
Pawar said the government would consider on "sympathetic" grounds to raise the budgetary provisions in Sports and Youth Policy when it comes up for discussion during the supplementary demands in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened