Six killed in Mumbai slum fire
Mumbai: At least six people were killed and seven injured in a fire that gutted over 50 hutments in southern Mumbai`s Mahim area early Friday, officials said.
According to the BMC Disaster Control Centre, the fire broke out around 5 am in the Nayanagar slums in Mahim and quickly spread, catching the occupants unaware in their sleep.
Seven fire engines and eight tankers rushed to combat the blaze and finally managed to control it after four hours. The cause of the fire is not yet known.
Congress MP from the area Eknath Gaekwad said the slum is a thickly populated and there was a possibility of the casualty figures going up.
"The narrow lanes in the congested locality prevented quicker rescue operations, but the city fire brigade did a commendable job and prevented higher casualties," Gaekwad told IANS from the scene of the tragedy.
Hundreds of families suddenly rendered homeless sat on the roadside, crying helplessly.
Gaekwad and other social workers have assured relief to the displaced families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...