Swamy calls on Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
Mumbai: Janata Party President Subramaniam Swamy on Monday met Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray here and discussed about the prevailing political situation in the country.
"We had an hour-long meeting where wide ranging issues regarding the current political affairs were discussed. We agreed that the NDA strategy and approach for the next Lok Sabha elections should be fighting corruption, promoting development and adopting Hindutva," Swamy told a news agency.
The Janata Party leader said he has had a long association with Thackerays since he was elected twice to the Lok Sabha from Mumbai.
"Another topic of our discussion was the issue of NDA`s Prime Ministerial candidate. It should be discussed in a meeting with all allies," he said.
When asked about Shiv Sena`s criticism of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in an editorial which appeared in party mouthpiece "Saamana" last week, Swamy said the editorial basically spoke of the need for the PM candidate to be upholding Hindutva also, rather than just development.
On Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar attacking his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi over the secular principle, Swamy felt that Nitish could be assured that "a true Hindu will always be a secular person."
Kumar had recently opposed Modi`s name for the top post saying NDA`s PM candidate should have a secular face.
According to him, Hindus are naturally secular people because they believe that all religions lead to God. "Hindus do not need additional qualification," he said.
The chief of Janata Party, an ally of the BJP led NDA said he would apprise senior BJP leader LK Advani about his meet with Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender