Swamy calls on Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
Mumbai: Janata Party President Subramaniam Swamy on Monday met Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray here and discussed about the prevailing political situation in the country.
"We had an hour-long meeting where wide ranging issues regarding the current political affairs were discussed. We agreed that the NDA strategy and approach for the next Lok Sabha elections should be fighting corruption, promoting development and adopting Hindutva," Swamy told a news agency.
The Janata Party leader said he has had a long association with Thackerays since he was elected twice to the Lok Sabha from Mumbai.
"Another topic of our discussion was the issue of NDA`s Prime Ministerial candidate. It should be discussed in a meeting with all allies," he said.
When asked about Shiv Sena`s criticism of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in an editorial which appeared in party mouthpiece "Saamana" last week, Swamy said the editorial basically spoke of the need for the PM candidate to be upholding Hindutva also, rather than just development.
On Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar attacking his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi over the secular principle, Swamy felt that Nitish could be assured that "a true Hindu will always be a secular person."
Kumar had recently opposed Modi`s name for the top post saying NDA`s PM candidate should have a secular face.
According to him, Hindus are naturally secular people because they believe that all religions lead to God. "Hindus do not need additional qualification," he said.
The chief of Janata Party, an ally of the BJP led NDA said he would apprise senior BJP leader LK Advani about his meet with Thackeray.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory