Thane advocate appointed NCP secretary
Thane: A prominent advocate and social worker from the predominantly tribal region of Jawhar in Thane district Rajaram Mukne has been appointed Secretary of Nationalist Congress Party`s (NCP) Maharashtra unit.
Mukne`s appointment was cleared by State NCP President Madhukar Pichad Saturday.
The 73-year-old advocate-cum-social worker`s elevation is being seen as an attempt by the Sharad Pawar-led party to expand its base among tribals of Thane ahead of the 2014 Assembly and general elections.
Mukne, a former President of Jawhar Municipal Council, also served as a Director of Thane District Central Co-operative Bank.
Mukne said he will ensure well being of tribals and raise issues concerning them at the party and Government level.
NCP is part of the Congress-led ruling coalition in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?