Thane building collapse: `Civic officials were bribed`
Thane: Three days after a seven-storey building collapsed here, police on Sunday revealed some shocking information.
According to Thane Police Commissioner KP Raghuvanshi, the police have proof that the builders of the illegal building had bribed Nationalist Congress Party corporator Hira Patil and Assistant Police Inspector J Sayyed to keep mum on the unauthorised construction.
"We found that civic officials were repeatedly bribed. Even police constable was also bribed... After Anti-Corruption Bureau raids, we found Rs 5 lakh from the residence of Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan... Hira Patil, local NCP corporator took bribe from the accused," Raghuvanshi said in a press conference today.
"A big racket has been unearthed. Builders were pushing people to stay in the building so that it is difficult to demolish the place," Raghuvanshi added.
Notably, the NCP has suspended Patil, who is one of the nine people to be arrested for the building`s collapse.
Six people have been arrested in connection with the collapse of a seven-storey building at Thane that left 74 people dead, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil said earlier today.
They included Thane Municipal Corporation`s suspended deputy municipal commissioner Deepak Chavan, assistant municipal commissioner Babasaheb Andhale, clerk Kiran Madke, municipal corporator Hira Patil and a beat police official, identified only as Sayyed.
Jabbar Patel, who worked for Chavan, has also been arrested.
The arrests on Sunday were in addition to the earlier arrest of builders Jamil Qureshi and Salim Shaikh. Police are searching for another builder, Adnan Shaikh.
A total of 74 people died in the Thursday’s crash, making it the worst-ever building collapse in Maharashtra in the past decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door