Three cops surrender in doc attack case; MARD to withdraw stir
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Friday informed the Bombay High Court that three policemen involved in an attack on a doctor in Solapur have surrendered, even as the state association of resident doctors here said that it will soon withdraw its indefinite strike over the assault.
Nearly 4,000 resident doctors in Maharashtra went on an indefinite strike yesterday demanding suspension of policemen who allegedly attacked their colleague on December 31.
Taking suo motu cognisance of the strike, the court had yesterday issued notices to the state government and Maharashta Association of Resident Doctors (MARD).
Government Pleader Prajakta Shinde informed Chief Justice Mohit Shah, who held a special sitting in the court today to hear this matter, that the police inspector and two constables surrendered today before a Solapur Judicial Magistrate First Class who had granted them interim bail.
Dr Santosh Waghchore, President of MARD, also assured the court that MARD would call off its stir on the issue.
However, the Chief Justice asked MARD to call off the strike immediately, following which its President assured that they would hold a meeting today itself and announce withdrawal of the stir.
The resident doctors alleged that the three policemen had forced a doctor who was busy with an emergency case at Solapur government hospital to attend to a pregnant woman who was in labour. When the doctor asked them to take the lady to gynaeac department, the policemen assaulted him.
The court asked the police and the government today as to why no action had been taken against the policemen inspite of having CCTV camera footage of the incident.
"If the officers are not arrested how will the doctors feel safe ?" asked the Chief Justice.
The government also informed that the case had been transferred to CID and law would take its own course.
However, the court said that action should be taken against the guilty cops immediately and they need not wait for the case to be transferred to State CID.
The court noted that the authorities had CCTV footage of the incident and a prima facie cognisable case was made out against the guilty under Maharashtra Medicare Service Persons and Medicare Service Institution Act 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured