Tributes paid to Vilasrao Deshmukh on first death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid to former Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on his first death anniversary across Maharashtra on Wednesday.
In the former chief minister`s native village Babhalagon in Latur district, his wife Vaishali was among the thousands who paid tributes at Prerna Sthal, where he was cremated.
The late Congress leader`s sons Amit, who is also a Congress MLA, Riteish, a Bollywood actor, and Dhiraj were present.
The Vilasrao Deshmukh Centre organised statewide programmes, including lectures on important social issues, on the occasion.
In Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, ministers and opposition leaders attended a function at the YB Chavan Centre and paid tributes to the deceased leader.
The 67-year-old Deshmukh died at a Chennai hospital on August 14 last year after battling liver cancer.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were among the lakhs who attended his funeral at Babhalgaon on August 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town