Tributes paid to Vilasrao Deshmukh on first death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid to former Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on his first death anniversary across Maharashtra on Wednesday.
In the former chief minister`s native village Babhalagon in Latur district, his wife Vaishali was among the thousands who paid tributes at Prerna Sthal, where he was cremated.
The late Congress leader`s sons Amit, who is also a Congress MLA, Riteish, a Bollywood actor, and Dhiraj were present.
The Vilasrao Deshmukh Centre organised statewide programmes, including lectures on important social issues, on the occasion.
In Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, ministers and opposition leaders attended a function at the YB Chavan Centre and paid tributes to the deceased leader.
The 67-year-old Deshmukh died at a Chennai hospital on August 14 last year after battling liver cancer.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were among the lakhs who attended his funeral at Babhalgaon on August 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range