Tributes paid to Vilasrao Deshmukh on first death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid to former Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on his first death anniversary across Maharashtra on Wednesday.
In the former chief minister`s native village Babhalagon in Latur district, his wife Vaishali was among the thousands who paid tributes at Prerna Sthal, where he was cremated.
The late Congress leader`s sons Amit, who is also a Congress MLA, Riteish, a Bollywood actor, and Dhiraj were present.
The Vilasrao Deshmukh Centre organised statewide programmes, including lectures on important social issues, on the occasion.
In Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, ministers and opposition leaders attended a function at the YB Chavan Centre and paid tributes to the deceased leader.
The 67-year-old Deshmukh died at a Chennai hospital on August 14 last year after battling liver cancer.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were among the lakhs who attended his funeral at Babhalgaon on August 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench
- Give education, equality to girl child, urges Amitabh Bachchan