Two constables injured in hit-and-run case in Mumbai
Mumbai: Two constables were injured after they were hit by a speeding BMW car, being driven by an inebriated businessman, at a checkpoint in Gamdevi area of south Mumbai in the wee hours on Monday, police said.
The man behind the wheels, identified as Anil Raut (28), who is into computer spare parts business, was arrested from Breach Candy area after a chase by police beat marshals for a few kilometers and the BMW car was recovered, said Pradip Lonandkar, senior inspector at Gamdevi police station.
A nakabandi was conducted at Gamdevi junction and police tried to stop the luxury car, being driven by Raut who was accompanied by a female friend, at around 1.45 AM today.
However, Raut did not stop the car and while fleeing, the vehicle hit another car and injured two constables - Shyamsundar Nikam and Madhukar Shingade - both attached with Gamdevi police station.
As Raut drove away the car, other policemen chased the vehicle, Lonandkar said adding that, "In a bid to escape, Raut took the vehicle to a small lane in Breach Candy area but the police spotted it on time and caught the drunk accused while running away."
The injured constables were rushed to Bombay hospital where they were treated for injuries and allowed to go.
According to police, Raut had dinner at Juhu in western suburbs before heading to Nariman Point in south Mumbai. From there, he was heading to Pune, where he resides, when he was ordered to stop at the Gamdevi junction during the nakabandi.
The accused was booked under IPC sections 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 333 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and relevant sections of Motor Vehicles Act, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Result 2016: dhe.mhpravesh.in declares B.Ed CET Results, check B.Ed result 2016 by directly clicking here
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out