Two constables injured in hit-and-run case in Mumbai
Mumbai: Two constables were injured after they were hit by a speeding BMW car, being driven by an inebriated businessman, at a checkpoint in Gamdevi area of south Mumbai in the wee hours on Monday, police said.
The man behind the wheels, identified as Anil Raut (28), who is into computer spare parts business, was arrested from Breach Candy area after a chase by police beat marshals for a few kilometers and the BMW car was recovered, said Pradip Lonandkar, senior inspector at Gamdevi police station.
A nakabandi was conducted at Gamdevi junction and police tried to stop the luxury car, being driven by Raut who was accompanied by a female friend, at around 1.45 AM today.
However, Raut did not stop the car and while fleeing, the vehicle hit another car and injured two constables - Shyamsundar Nikam and Madhukar Shingade - both attached with Gamdevi police station.
As Raut drove away the car, other policemen chased the vehicle, Lonandkar said adding that, "In a bid to escape, Raut took the vehicle to a small lane in Breach Candy area but the police spotted it on time and caught the drunk accused while running away."
The injured constables were rushed to Bombay hospital where they were treated for injuries and allowed to go.
According to police, Raut had dinner at Juhu in western suburbs before heading to Nariman Point in south Mumbai. From there, he was heading to Pune, where he resides, when he was ordered to stop at the Gamdevi junction during the nakabandi.
The accused was booked under IPC sections 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 333 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and relevant sections of Motor Vehicles Act, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof