US national robbed of passport, cash in Mumbai
Mumbai: An elderly US national was allegedly robbed of his passport, Rs 4,000 and traveller`s cheque of USD 400 among other possessions in broad daylight by four unidentified persons here, police said on Monday.
Anthony Lamport (78), a tourist was looking to take a cab near the Asiatic Society in South Mumbai yesterday around 3.30 PM when the four unarmed persons held him and demanded money.
Subsequently, they robbed the tourist of his bank credit and debit cards, cash, apart from his US passport and the cheques, Padmakar Juikar, senior inspector at MRA Marg police station, told PTI.
According to police, Lamport had arrived in Mumbai along with his wife on February 1.
They had hired a cab which broke down near the Library after which the duo decided to take another one. While waiting for it, the accused looted Lamport.
Two robbers held his legs, one held him from the back while the fourth took out his wallet and other valuables from his pockets, he added.
Before the couple realised what had happened, the accused had escaped with the valuables.
While two accused escaped on a motorcycle, the others hurriedly walked towards Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest