US national robbed of passport, cash in Mumbai
Mumbai: An elderly US national was allegedly robbed of his passport, Rs 4,000 and traveller`s cheque of USD 400 among other possessions in broad daylight by four unidentified persons here, police said on Monday.
Anthony Lamport (78), a tourist was looking to take a cab near the Asiatic Society in South Mumbai yesterday around 3.30 PM when the four unarmed persons held him and demanded money.
Subsequently, they robbed the tourist of his bank credit and debit cards, cash, apart from his US passport and the cheques, Padmakar Juikar, senior inspector at MRA Marg police station, told PTI.
According to police, Lamport had arrived in Mumbai along with his wife on February 1.
They had hired a cab which broke down near the Library after which the duo decided to take another one. While waiting for it, the accused looted Lamport.
Two robbers held his legs, one held him from the back while the fourth took out his wallet and other valuables from his pockets, he added.
Before the couple realised what had happened, the accused had escaped with the valuables.
While two accused escaped on a motorcycle, the others hurriedly walked towards Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow