Villager killed over suspicion of witchcraft; one held
Thane: A youth has been arrested for allegedly killing a 45-year-old villager in Dahanu taluka of the district on suspicion that he had been practising witchcraft, police said Wednesday.
Police had on November 1 recovered the body of Yeshwant Shanya Wadu, from Dongripada hamlet of Vaki, with multiple injuries, API A K Bhagwan of Gholwad police station said.
They sent the body for postmortem and a case of accidental death was registered at that time.
However, later the deceased`s son lodged a complaint with police that his parents were brutally beaten up by fellow villager - Nilesh Mohan Lolka (25) - as he suspected them of practising witchcraft.
According to the complainant, the accused beat up the couple on November 1 with a hard and blunt object following which his father succumbed.
Based on the complaint, police launched a man hunt for the accused and nabbed him from a hideout last night.
The case has now been registered for murder, police said, adding that further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video