`Women can use knives, pepper spray in self-defence`
Pune: Pune Commissioner of Police Gulabrao Pol has asked women to carry knives, chilli powder and pepper spray and be prepared to use them in self-defence when attacked.
Speaking at a meeting organised to discuss security of women late Wednesday, Pol said that women should adopt such self-defence tactics before they call police for help.
When contacted by a news agency on Thursday, Pol said it was important that women defend themselves and avoid getting hurt before the police arrive.
"Carrying knives, chilli powder or spray will help women defend themselves against any man who may harass them," Pol told a news agency.
"There is a provision in the law that says a woman can attack the culprit in self-defence. A woman can raise an alarm, injure her attacker and then call for police help," he added.
Pol also said police plan to deploy women officials at every police station in the city so that it becomes easier for women to walk in and register a complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees