`Women can use knives, pepper spray in self-defence`
Pune: Pune Commissioner of Police Gulabrao Pol has asked women to carry knives, chilli powder and pepper spray and be prepared to use them in self-defence when attacked.
Speaking at a meeting organised to discuss security of women late Wednesday, Pol said that women should adopt such self-defence tactics before they call police for help.
When contacted by a news agency on Thursday, Pol said it was important that women defend themselves and avoid getting hurt before the police arrive.
"Carrying knives, chilli powder or spray will help women defend themselves against any man who may harass them," Pol told a news agency.
"There is a provision in the law that says a woman can attack the culprit in self-defence. A woman can raise an alarm, injure her attacker and then call for police help," he added.
Pol also said police plan to deploy women officials at every police station in the city so that it becomes easier for women to walk in and register a complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'