`Women can use knives, pepper spray in self-defence`
Pune: Pune Commissioner of Police Gulabrao Pol has asked women to carry knives, chilli powder and pepper spray and be prepared to use them in self-defence when attacked.
Speaking at a meeting organised to discuss security of women late Wednesday, Pol said that women should adopt such self-defence tactics before they call police for help.
When contacted by a news agency on Thursday, Pol said it was important that women defend themselves and avoid getting hurt before the police arrive.
"Carrying knives, chilli powder or spray will help women defend themselves against any man who may harass them," Pol told a news agency.
"There is a provision in the law that says a woman can attack the culprit in self-defence. A woman can raise an alarm, injure her attacker and then call for police help," he added.
Pol also said police plan to deploy women officials at every police station in the city so that it becomes easier for women to walk in and register a complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi's inflation-related speech ''baseless'', just wants to grab people's attention: BJP
- Erdogan wants Army under President's control after coup: Turkish official
- Chidambaram rejects Arun Jaitley's remarks on inflation
- Microsoft to cut additional 2,850 jobs from smartphone sector
- Interesting numbers on India's beggar population out! How do Hindus and Muslims fare? - Read