Apologise to Indians, Malaysia`s DAP secretary-general told
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian-Indian politician of the Democratic Action Party has asked the party`s Chinese-origin secretary-general to apologise to nearly 700 Indian members who were stopped from attending a meeting in 2012.
Former Padang Serai member of parliament N Gobalakrishnan, has asked party secretary-general Lim Guan Eng to apologise, saying he had no right to deny the Indian members their voting rights by not allowing them to attend the central executive committee (CEC) meeting in 2012.
"He shouldn`t treat the Indian members like that as they, too, like him, have voting (rights). It was an important meeting, where Democratic Action Party (DAP) elected their main council members ... How could over 700 Indians not be a part of it?" Gobalakrishnan argued.
Gobalakrishnan also raised the issue of talks that Lim was planning to de-register the party, saying there could be ulterior motives, the New Strait Times reported.
"I want him to explain the rumours of him wanting to de-register DAP. Word is, when he registers DAP as a new party, he will purposely leave out the branches that were headed by Indian DAP leaders," he said.
Last Sunday, former Permatang Pauh PKR committee member N Ponnusamy alleged that there were rumours that someone, allegedly from DAP, had met an official from the Registrar of Societies (RoS) and extended a generous offer to get the party de-registered.
"We are shocked to learn that there are certain quarters in DAP who want the party de-registered, when most of its members are calling for a re-election of the CEC," Ponnusamy said.
Gobalakrishnan said it was sad to see Indians being played out by the party, which claimed to champion the rights of all Malaysians, regardless of race.
He also said DAP chairman Karpal Singh had never spoken out as an Indian and that he did not speak for the Indians in the party.
A total of 2,576 DAP delegates should have been present to elect 20 of the party`s CEC members, yet 753 of them, who were Indians, were not present during voting time.
The dissatisfied delegates have since lodged a complaint with RoS for having been denied their rights to attend the congress as delegates.
Ethnic Indians comprise a little over seven percent of Malaysia`s total population of nearly 30 million.
In the recently concluded polls in Malaysia, Najib`s Barisan Nasional coalition won 133 of the 222 parliamentary seats and came back to power extending its 56-year rule.
Opposition DAP party won 38 parliamentary seats, Anwar`s party PKR has 30 seats and PAS party 21 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'