Army Chief briefs CCS on China incursion
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amid indications that China may not retreat from Ladakh, Indian Army Chief General Bikram
Singh met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday.
Gen Singh met the PM at his official residence 7 Race Course Road in the national capital. The Army Chief also brifed the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) on the issue.
Gen Singh had last week visited Jammu and Kashmir and the Ladakh area and discussed the situation with military commanders in the Northern Command.
The current standoff between the two nations began on April 15 after Chinese platoon set up camp 19 km inside Indian territory in Depsang Valley in Ladakh.
India has tried through meetings with local military commanders and through diplomatic channels to get China to vacate the spot. China insists that it has not intruded into Indian territory.
Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said that India does not want to "accentuate the situation" and that it is a "localized problem".
Defence Minister AK Antony also stressed that India remains committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation caused by a Chinese incursion in Ladakh and will take every possible step to safeguard its interests.
After Gen Singh’s visit to J&K, the Army had given its inputs to the government and the National Security Advisor-headed China Study Group, which is handling the present situation in Ladakh.
The Army has also given various options to the government on the issue, including the aggressive use of military to handle the present situation.
All the options suggested to the China Study Group are being looked at carefully and other stakeholders in the situation have also given their inputs.
The China Study Group is handling the whole issue in consultation with the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) and the Defence Ministry.
The Army had rushed its troops from the 5 Ladakh Scouts battalion to the DBO area and they are camping there. The force is also considering the option of dispatching additional troops if the need arises.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!