Army Chief briefs CCS on China incursion
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amid indications that China may not retreat from Ladakh, Indian Army Chief General Bikram
Singh met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday.
Gen Singh met the PM at his official residence 7 Race Course Road in the national capital. The Army Chief also brifed the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) on the issue.
Gen Singh had last week visited Jammu and Kashmir and the Ladakh area and discussed the situation with military commanders in the Northern Command.
The current standoff between the two nations began on April 15 after Chinese platoon set up camp 19 km inside Indian territory in Depsang Valley in Ladakh.
India has tried through meetings with local military commanders and through diplomatic channels to get China to vacate the spot. China insists that it has not intruded into Indian territory.
Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said that India does not want to "accentuate the situation" and that it is a "localized problem".
Defence Minister AK Antony also stressed that India remains committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation caused by a Chinese incursion in Ladakh and will take every possible step to safeguard its interests.
After Gen Singh’s visit to J&K, the Army had given its inputs to the government and the National Security Advisor-headed China Study Group, which is handling the present situation in Ladakh.
The Army has also given various options to the government on the issue, including the aggressive use of military to handle the present situation.
All the options suggested to the China Study Group are being looked at carefully and other stakeholders in the situation have also given their inputs.
The China Study Group is handling the whole issue in consultation with the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) and the Defence Ministry.
The Army had rushed its troops from the 5 Ladakh Scouts battalion to the DBO area and they are camping there. The force is also considering the option of dispatching additional troops if the need arises.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what