At `mundans` or `mujras`, it’s OK to watch women dance: SP MLA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Arrested last month after a raid on a dance bar in Goan capital Panaji, the suspended Samajwadi Party MLA from Uttar Pradesh Mahendra Singh said he was not ashamed of attending the “mujra” as it was common for women to dance at various occasions from “mundans” to marriages.
"Aisa dance to UP me hota rehta hai (This is common in UP). Be it `mundan`, engagement or marriage, there are women to dance at every occasion. Why should I be ashamed?", Singh said to a news agency.
The UP MLA, who is now on bail, claimed that he was being made a political scapegoat and his arrest was an outcome of BJP-Congress rivalry in Goa.
Mahendra Singh was arrested on August 27, when he was caught with two other Samajwadi Party workers at 1 am, enjoying women dancers’ performance sitting on mattresses, when police raided a Goa hotel.
The police said that they caught the MLA from a “mujra” party and the six rescued women dancers were prostitutes called from Mumbai, Delhi and Chandigarh.
But Singh has denied the allegations, saying that he was there only to attend a birthday party, reports said.
The raid at the Goa hotel came after Goa CM Manohar Parrikar in his Independence Day had stressed that dance bars were prohibited in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble