At `mundans` or `mujras`, it’s OK to watch women dance: SP MLA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Arrested last month after a raid on a dance bar in Goan capital Panaji, the suspended Samajwadi Party MLA from Uttar Pradesh Mahendra Singh said he was not ashamed of attending the “mujra” as it was common for women to dance at various occasions from “mundans” to marriages.
"Aisa dance to UP me hota rehta hai (This is common in UP). Be it `mundan`, engagement or marriage, there are women to dance at every occasion. Why should I be ashamed?", Singh said to a news agency.
The UP MLA, who is now on bail, claimed that he was being made a political scapegoat and his arrest was an outcome of BJP-Congress rivalry in Goa.
Mahendra Singh was arrested on August 27, when he was caught with two other Samajwadi Party workers at 1 am, enjoying women dancers’ performance sitting on mattresses, when police raided a Goa hotel.
The police said that they caught the MLA from a “mujra” party and the six rescued women dancers were prostitutes called from Mumbai, Delhi and Chandigarh.
But Singh has denied the allegations, saying that he was there only to attend a birthday party, reports said.
The raid at the Goa hotel came after Goa CM Manohar Parrikar in his Independence Day had stressed that dance bars were prohibited in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons