At `mundans` or `mujras`, it’s OK to watch women dance: SP MLA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Arrested last month after a raid on a dance bar in Goan capital Panaji, the suspended Samajwadi Party MLA from Uttar Pradesh Mahendra Singh said he was not ashamed of attending the “mujra” as it was common for women to dance at various occasions from “mundans” to marriages.
"Aisa dance to UP me hota rehta hai (This is common in UP). Be it `mundan`, engagement or marriage, there are women to dance at every occasion. Why should I be ashamed?", Singh said to a news agency.
The UP MLA, who is now on bail, claimed that he was being made a political scapegoat and his arrest was an outcome of BJP-Congress rivalry in Goa.
Mahendra Singh was arrested on August 27, when he was caught with two other Samajwadi Party workers at 1 am, enjoying women dancers’ performance sitting on mattresses, when police raided a Goa hotel.
The police said that they caught the MLA from a “mujra” party and the six rescued women dancers were prostitutes called from Mumbai, Delhi and Chandigarh.
But Singh has denied the allegations, saying that he was there only to attend a birthday party, reports said.
The raid at the Goa hotel came after Goa CM Manohar Parrikar in his Independence Day had stressed that dance bars were prohibited in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?