BJP should be worried about lawlessness in Gujarat: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: Union minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday attacked BJP for its charge that Congress was misusing CBI in the Ishrat Jahan case. He said that the Opposition party instead should be asked how its government in Gujarat was misusing the state police by taking "innocent lives".
The Law minister also said the CBI was not investigating the encounter case at the instance of the Centre but it was being monitored by court.
"I wish Rajnath Singh ji had reacted sensitively to this matter. Instead of saying the CBI is used, he should ask how the Gujarat Police was being used but the right question is not being asked.
"He should be asking his own people and Narendra Modi how did this happen in Gujarat. They should be worried about lawlessness in Gujarat and how the state officials were complicit in actually taking innocent lives through fake encounters," he told reporters here.
Sibal was responding to questions on the charges of BJP and CBI`s chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan case.
"How can we misuse the CBI? The CBI is not investigating this matter at our instance and many of these matters are investigated by the court and the court is monitoring it," he said.
Referring to posers on CBI questioning a senior IB officer in the case, he said that the "fake" information was not given by Congress or the UPA government to the state police. "The encounter was not done by us," he said.
Taking a dig at BJP, he said the party should be asked how it got its leader L K Advani out of the CBI chargesheet in the Ayodhya demolition case.
"Please ask the BJP and their distinguished ex-law minister how they got Advani out of the CBI charge sheet," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal