BJP should be worried about lawlessness in Gujarat: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: Union minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday attacked BJP for its charge that Congress was misusing CBI in the Ishrat Jahan case. He said that the Opposition party instead should be asked how its government in Gujarat was misusing the state police by taking "innocent lives".
The Law minister also said the CBI was not investigating the encounter case at the instance of the Centre but it was being monitored by court.
"I wish Rajnath Singh ji had reacted sensitively to this matter. Instead of saying the CBI is used, he should ask how the Gujarat Police was being used but the right question is not being asked.
"He should be asking his own people and Narendra Modi how did this happen in Gujarat. They should be worried about lawlessness in Gujarat and how the state officials were complicit in actually taking innocent lives through fake encounters," he told reporters here.
Sibal was responding to questions on the charges of BJP and CBI`s chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan case.
"How can we misuse the CBI? The CBI is not investigating this matter at our instance and many of these matters are investigated by the court and the court is monitoring it," he said.
Referring to posers on CBI questioning a senior IB officer in the case, he said that the "fake" information was not given by Congress or the UPA government to the state police. "The encounter was not done by us," he said.
Taking a dig at BJP, he said the party should be asked how it got its leader L K Advani out of the CBI chargesheet in the Ayodhya demolition case.
"Please ask the BJP and their distinguished ex-law minister how they got Advani out of the CBI charge sheet," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof