Chhattisgarh attack: Will never bow down before Naxalism, says PM
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: Following the tragic and dastardly attack on Congress leaders and activists by Naxals in Chhattisgarh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said that the country will never bow down before Naxalism.
"This incident should inspire fight against forces of extremism," PM said.
Speaking to the media, the Prime Minister said Naxalism problem needs to be dealt with sternly.
Condemning yesterday`s barbaric killings, Dr Singh said that those who have lost their lives in this barbaric attack are martyrs of democracy.
Dr Singh announced an ex gratia relief of Rs 5 lacs from the PM`s National Relief Fund to the families of those who have lost their lives.
Dr Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi reached here on Sunday to offer their condolences and support to the families of those killed and injured.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi said, "I appreciate courage and bravery of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh."
At least 27 people, including senior Congress leader Nand Kumar Patel, Mahendra Karma, were killed and several others injured including senior party leader VC Shukla when heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders inside a dense forest in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district.
The body of Chhattisgarh Congress chief Nand Kumar Patel, who was kidnapped along with his son after Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders, was found on Sunday in a forest in Bastar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog