Chhattisgarh attack: Will never bow down before Naxalism, says PM
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: Following the tragic and dastardly attack on Congress leaders and activists by Naxals in Chhattisgarh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said that the country will never bow down before Naxalism.
"This incident should inspire fight against forces of extremism," PM said.
Speaking to the media, the Prime Minister said Naxalism problem needs to be dealt with sternly.
Condemning yesterday`s barbaric killings, Dr Singh said that those who have lost their lives in this barbaric attack are martyrs of democracy.
Dr Singh announced an ex gratia relief of Rs 5 lacs from the PM`s National Relief Fund to the families of those who have lost their lives.
Dr Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi reached here on Sunday to offer their condolences and support to the families of those killed and injured.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi said, "I appreciate courage and bravery of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh."
At least 27 people, including senior Congress leader Nand Kumar Patel, Mahendra Karma, were killed and several others injured including senior party leader VC Shukla when heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders inside a dense forest in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district.
The body of Chhattisgarh Congress chief Nand Kumar Patel, who was kidnapped along with his son after Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders, was found on Sunday in a forest in Bastar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control