China assured India on Brahmaputra River flow: Rawat
Pithoragarh: China has assured India that it is developing projects on the Tibetan part of Brahmaputra river, which will not affect the river`s flow in Indian territory, Union water resources minister Harish Rawat said here on Friday.
The Union Water Resources Ministry has developed an information exchange system with China on water flow between the two countries, Rawat told reporters during his brief stay here to campaign for Congress candidates in Didihat, Pithoragarh, Dharchula and Gangolihat towns for local bodies elections.
"After we are fully acquainted with each other on the issue of international waters, confusion on water use will be defused," the Minister said.
Stressing on the Ministry`s initiative on rain water harvesting schemes for the country, Rawat said, "We want to deposit 100 billion cubic meter underground water through these schemes by 2020."
The Union government is constituting an authority to regulate ground water recharge in the country, which will work for water-use efficiency, the Minister said adding, "We want to change the traditional concept of water being available in abundance and save 20 percent of water being used in agriculture, industries and household purposes."
Responding to a question on the combination of Baba Ramdev with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Congress minister said, the combine will not affect national politics, as people are of secular outlook.
On the issue of state`s development after declaration of the Ganga basin as eco-sensitive zone, Rawat said development works will not be affected as an authority will be formed by the Ministry concerned and all essential construction work can be undertaken after taking permission of this authority.
"Moreover, if the state government sends any proposal, Government of India will consider it," the Minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’