China funding development of Gwadar Port in Pakistan: Antony
New Delhi: China is funding the development of the Gwadar Port in Pakistan and it could be used for military purposes also in the future, Defence Minister A K Antony said on Wednesday.
"Government is aware of the development of the Gwadar Port in Pakistan with Chinese funding and of the reports of handing over the control of port operations to a Chinese firm. The port could be used for military purposes in the future," Antony told Rajya Sabha in reply to a written query.
The minister was asked if the government was aware of the reports of handing over of the port by Pakistan to China.
India has already expressed concern over the issue.
"Chinese are now constructing that port on Pakistan’s request. In one sentence, I can say that it’s a matter of concern to us. My answer is simple and straightforward," Antony had said recently.
To a question whether China has increased its activities in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), the Defence Minister said, "China has also participated in IOR in development projects like ports, deep sea mining, ocean research and anti-piracy operations."
In reply to a query on intrusion by Chinese troops, Antony said there was no delineated Line of Actual Control (LAC) between India and China and due to differing perceptions, both sides patrol up to their respective perceptions and "transgressions do occur".
"The PLA transgression in the last six months is as per the established pattern... No camps have been set up by Chinese troops in the territory under our control," he said.
Meanwhile, answering another query, Antony said there were 160 field firing ranges in the country of which 54 were on private or Government forest land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur