Coastal security radar stations to be ready this y
Kolkata: A chain of radar stations being set up for India`s coastal security network will be ready along the mainland by the end of 2012 and those in the island territories by next year, a top Indian Coast Guard (ICG) official said on Wednesday.
"Coastal security and sea-based piracy have emerged as concerns that demand rapid capacity and capability building of all maritime forces. What we can do is to enhance our presence in the sea by both naval (forces) as well as the Coast Guard," Indian Coast Guard Director General Vice Admiral MP Muralidharan told media persons here.
"We have vessels which have been patrolling in the ocean and also we have the aircraft in the air which are continuously patrolling."
"We also have a chain of radar stations that have been set up for the entire coastal security network which will be ready at the end of this year along the mainland and early next year it will be ready in our island territories," Muralidharan said.
He said the radar stations will help the Coast Guard enhance surveillance to monitor vessels to counter sea-based piracy.
Stating that the Coast Guard was planning to increase its presence in the sea for safety and welfare of Indian fishermen, he said, "We are looking for more vessels...we are getting more units. In the next five years or so, we will reach some level."
Muralidharan said the Coast Guard was slated to have 150 vessels and over l00 aircraft by 2018.
"As of today, there are over 100 ships in various stages of construction both at the defence public shipyards and private shipyards across the country," he added.
The vice admiral was in the city to commission ICG Ship (ICGS) Rajshree, the first in a series of eight Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs) being designed and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) here.
ICGS Rajshree will be based at Chennai under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region (East).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'