Committed to promoting all languages of India: Union Home Ministry
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Even as DMK chief M Karunanidhi criticised the Narendra Modi government`s reported directive to officials to give priority to the Hindi language in social media, the Union Home Ministry said on Thursday that all Indian languages was important.
The added that they were committed to promoting all languages of the country.
The Ministry posted on its official Twitter handle: “The Home Ministry is of the view that all Indian languages are important. The Ministry is committed to promote all languages of the country.”
The Home Ministry is of the view that all Indian languages are important. The Ministry is committed to promote all languages of the country.
— HMO India (@HMOIndia) June 19, 2014
Rajnath Singh is the Union Home Minister.
M Karunanidhi today said in Chennai that Prime Minister should focus on economic growth and social development and pointed out that giving priority to Hindi would be construed as a first step towards attempt at creating differences among non-Hindi speaking people.
The 90-year old added that the move would also make non-Hindi people feel like second class citizens. He also questioned as to why Hindi should be given priority over other languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of Constitution.
DMK had spearheaded the anti-Hindi agitation in the 1960s in the state.
As per reports, a directive had been sent to officials of all Union ministries, departments, corporations, or banks, having accounts in the social media to use Hindi, or both Hindi and English.
It was also reported that as per the communication, Hindi was asked to be given the priority, PTI reported.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju today said the new government will promote use of Hindi in all departments and public life.
He also said that promotion of Hindi language should not be seen as `undermining` other languages.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections