Committed to promoting all languages of India: Union Home Ministry
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Even as DMK chief M Karunanidhi criticised the Narendra Modi government`s reported directive to officials to give priority to the Hindi language in social media, the Union Home Ministry said on Thursday that all Indian languages was important.
The added that they were committed to promoting all languages of the country.
The Ministry posted on its official Twitter handle: “The Home Ministry is of the view that all Indian languages are important. The Ministry is committed to promote all languages of the country.”
The Home Ministry is of the view that all Indian languages are important. The Ministry is committed to promote all languages of the country.
— HMO India (@HMOIndia) June 19, 2014
Rajnath Singh is the Union Home Minister.
M Karunanidhi today said in Chennai that Prime Minister should focus on economic growth and social development and pointed out that giving priority to Hindi would be construed as a first step towards attempt at creating differences among non-Hindi speaking people.
The 90-year old added that the move would also make non-Hindi people feel like second class citizens. He also questioned as to why Hindi should be given priority over other languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of Constitution.
DMK had spearheaded the anti-Hindi agitation in the 1960s in the state.
As per reports, a directive had been sent to officials of all Union ministries, departments, corporations, or banks, having accounts in the social media to use Hindi, or both Hindi and English.
It was also reported that as per the communication, Hindi was asked to be given the priority, PTI reported.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju today said the new government will promote use of Hindi in all departments and public life.
He also said that promotion of Hindi language should not be seen as `undermining` other languages.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video