`Cong betrayed promises to remove backwardness in Telangana`
New Delhi: The "betrayal" of promises by Congress to eliminate backwardness of Telangana region over several decades has fanned the separate statehood movement which was now provoking similar demands in other parts of the country, CPI(M) said on Thursday.
"History of the last four decades is witness to the fact that all promises and assurances made to people of Telangana to eliminate their relative backwardness were, by and large, betrayed.
"It is the Congress party, leading the governments both at the Centre and in the state, for long periods during these four decades that is primarily responsible for not redeeming the assurances made to the people," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
Such demands for creation of newer states on the basis of various identities "has serious consequences not only for the federal content and structure of the Indian Constitution but also in unleashing potentially disruptive tensions in the country," he said in an editorial in the forthcoming issue of party organ `People`s Democracy`.
The "mishandling" of the situation by both the Centre and the state governments led by Congress "has now given rise to a large number of demands from various parts of the country for formation of separate states", including Gorkhaland, Bodoland and Vidarbha.
Yechury recalled how four decades ago, after a violent agitation, an agreement was reached on ensuring development of Telangana region and eliminating its relative economic backwardness.
Following this, Article 371(D) was incorporated in the Constitution to provide for special provisions for Andhra Pradesh to ensure "equitable opportunities and facilities" for people belonging to different parts of the state. But no major step was taken to remove backwardness of these areas.
Yechury said another step needed to be taken to pave the way for the formation of Telangana would be to repeal Article 371(D) from the Constitution "as this would become infructuous." And this measure would have to be adopted by Parliament before Telangana could be legally formed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo