Cong hurried through Telangana announcement: BJP
New Delhi: Slamming Congress on Telangana issue which rocked Parliament on Monday, BJP said the Congress hurried through the announcement on forming the new state for electoral gains and maintained the issue could have been handled with "greater harmony".
"The movement for Telangana has been one of the biggest mass movements in India in recent history. This movement has sustained itself for a long time. Government should have responded to it well in advance," Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters.
The Telangana issue led to frequent disruptions in both Houses of Parliament on the first day of the monsoon session. While the anti-Telangana MPs, including from Congress, protested, there were demands for separate statehood to Bodoland and other regions.
Jaitley charged the government has created a situation where two regions (Telangana and Seemandhra) are crossing swords with each other.
"Why could you not do it with much greater harmony?" he said, adding the NDA government had formed three states- Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand- by first building a consensus on the issue.
BJP maintained NDA had held discussions with all stakeholders. The three states concerned- Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh- were asked to pass unanimous resolutions in their assemblies.
After the states were formed, revenues were shared and river waters were divided in no time. Even the High Courts in the new states were created in a week`s notice, Jaitley said.
"It was part of our honest commitment. We had no political motivation.... Congress has no commitment and announced Telangana for electoral reasons. I suspect this strategy will not work. They will end up as losers in both regions (Telangana and Seemandhra)," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch