Congress leader Vilasrao Deshmukh passes away at 67
Chennai: Maratha strongman and Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, who was suffering from a serious liver ailment, passed away at Global Hospitals in Chennai on Tuesday afternoon. He was 67.
Deshmukh had shown signs of improvement but turned critical and died of multiple organ failure at 2 pm. His family members, including his three sons, were by his side when he breathed his last.
He was earlier undergoing treatment at Breach Candy hospital in Mumbai for about a week and had to be shifted to super-speciality Global hospitals on August 6 due to deterioration in his condition.
A team doctors, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, had put in their best efforts to save him. Deshmukh was on life-support systems.
Efforts to save the Maratha stalwart suffered a major setback after a brain-dead man whose liver and kidney were to be harvested and transplanted in Deshmukh, died hours before the operation yesterday night.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi termed Deshmukh’s passing away as a great loss to the party.
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have also expressed grief.
Manmohan Singh describing him as a trusted colleague and an able administrator. "Mr Deshmukh was a trusted colleague and an able administrator who worked at panchayat, state and central levels with admirable dedication," Singh said in his message.
The national flag will fly at half-mast.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan said that he was shocked at the demise of Deshmukh and termed him as one of the tallest leaders from Maharashtra.
Deshmukh will be remembered as a grass root leader who was banked upon by his party as a master political strategist.
Deshmukh, who previously held the posts of Minister of Rural Development and Minister of Panchayati Raj and Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises. He was the chief minister of Maharashtra twice, from 1999 to 2003 and from 2004 to 2008.
On July 19, Deshmukh was in New Delhi for the presidential election.
Both houses of Parliament were adjourned as soon as the news of the Congress leader`s demise came in.
"I have to inform with great grief that my colleague Vilasrao Deshmukh has passed away," Shinde said as the Lok Sabha was discussing the issue of increasing Naxalite and Maoist activities.
Senior BJP leader LK Advani too expressed grief following which the chair adjourned the Lok Sabha for the day.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal informed the Rajya Sabha about the death of Deshmukh following which the House was adjourned.
"Vilasrao Deshmukh is no more...He has just passed away," Bansal said in the Upper House.
Funeral at his native village on Wednesday
Vilasrao will be cremated at his native Babhalgaon village in Latur district tomorrow, family sources said.
The mortal remains of the departed leader will be brought to Latur tomorrow and kept at his house in Babhalgaon from 9 am to 3 pm for people to pay their last respects, his brother Dilip Deshmukh, said.
The funeral procession will start at 3 pm and last rites would be performed at 4 pm, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP