Corruption plaguing implementation of MNREGA: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Saturday admitted that corruption is plaguing implementation of its flagship programme MNREGA and there is a need to address the issue meaningfully.
"Though the achievements of MNREGA have been impressive, there have been issues with regard to its implementation that need to be recognised and addressed meaningfully...There has been public concern over misappropriation of funds and resources in MNREGA," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said in a research paper on the UPA`s ambitious programme.
He expressed hope that measures such as notification of Social Audit Rules, which makes it mandatory to have a social audit conducted by Gram Sabha and asking Comptroller and Auditor General to conduct a performance audit of MNREGA, would help address the concerns of corruption.
The minister also highlighted the achievements of the rural job scheme in `MGNREGA Sameeksha`, an anthology of research study on the flagship scheme, which was released by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here.
"While implementation remains uneven and patchy across states and districts, there is evidence to suggest that MNREGA has contributed to increased rural wages everywhere, reduced distress migration from traditionally migration-intensive areas, usage of barren areas for cultivation and empowerment of the weaker sections and giving them a new sense of identity and bargaining power," Ramesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen army camp: Officials