CPM urges Centre to take up Tamils’ issue
Kozhikode: The CPI-M on Monday urged the Centre to take up political and diplomatic efforts to ensure full rehabilitation and resettlement of the Tamil people in Sri Lanka.
Expressing concern at the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka, a resolution adopted at the party`s 20th congress said the Centre should also impress upon the Sri Lankan government to conduct an independent and credible enquiry into alleged human
rights violations there and reach a political settlement, based on devolution of powers to the northern and eastern provinces.
The party stood for a united Sri Lanka where Tamil minorities could live in peace with the majority Sinhala community, the resolution said and appealed to all democratic forces in the country to find a political solution to the Tamil question.
In another resolution, the congress wanted the Centre to honour the assurance given by the Prime Minister to sympathetically consider the legitimate demand of large number of Bengali refugees to recognise them as citizens of India.
The congress also wanted a solution to the problem of suspected foreigners illegally living in Assam. Most of the foreigners’ tribunals set up for identifying such persons
were not functioning, it said in a resolution.
The congress also decided to organise a year-long observance of the birth centenary of revolutionary Communist leader P Sundarayya from May 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand