CPM urges Centre to take up Tamils’ issue
Kozhikode: The CPI-M on Monday urged the Centre to take up political and diplomatic efforts to ensure full rehabilitation and resettlement of the Tamil people in Sri Lanka.
Expressing concern at the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka, a resolution adopted at the party`s 20th congress said the Centre should also impress upon the Sri Lankan government to conduct an independent and credible enquiry into alleged human
rights violations there and reach a political settlement, based on devolution of powers to the northern and eastern provinces.
The party stood for a united Sri Lanka where Tamil minorities could live in peace with the majority Sinhala community, the resolution said and appealed to all democratic forces in the country to find a political solution to the Tamil question.
In another resolution, the congress wanted the Centre to honour the assurance given by the Prime Minister to sympathetically consider the legitimate demand of large number of Bengali refugees to recognise them as citizens of India.
The congress also wanted a solution to the problem of suspected foreigners illegally living in Assam. Most of the foreigners’ tribunals set up for identifying such persons
were not functioning, it said in a resolution.
The congress also decided to organise a year-long observance of the birth centenary of revolutionary Communist leader P Sundarayya from May 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said