CVC to seek govt help for speedy execution of LRs
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission is likely to seek the Centre`s intervention to speed up execution of Letters Rogatory (LRs) in seeking information related to corruption cases from foreign authorities.
"There has been a continuous complaints of delay from investigating agencies in execution of LRs. The CVC is aware of it and it may like to convey it to the concerned authorities in the MEA," a senior official said.
Letters Rogatory is a judicial request to authorities abroad to seek cooperation in probe being conducted by Indian investigating agencies and the same is sent through the Legals and Treaty Division of the MEA after being veted by the Home Ministry.
"The Commission has reviewed the existing procedures which involved multiple authorities in India and abroad to execute a LR. The execution of LR solely depends on the mutual cooperation between India and the respective nation. The CVC has already proposed to set up a special cell to speed up the process," the official said.
Sources said the matter of delay in implementation of the LR had come up during a recent meeting of CBI and CVC officials to discuss ongoing probe.
They said the CBI officials have cited their concern over the slow pace of the process of execution and sought CVC help in the matter, they said.
Besides CBI, officials of Enforcement Directorate, Income Tax department among others go abroad to probe their cases.
The probity watchdog is likely to suggest to the government to empower the Director, CBI, to send teams for investigation abroad as per requirement of the case under probe.
The CVC, which exercises superintendence over the functioning of CBI in matters relating to investigation of offenses under the Prevention of Corruption Act, has been actively involved in probe in various high profile cases including 2G spectrum allocation scam and coal blocks allocation among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers