CVC to seek govt help for speedy execution of LRs
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission is likely to seek the Centre`s intervention to speed up execution of Letters Rogatory (LRs) in seeking information related to corruption cases from foreign authorities.
"There has been a continuous complaints of delay from investigating agencies in execution of LRs. The CVC is aware of it and it may like to convey it to the concerned authorities in the MEA," a senior official said.
Letters Rogatory is a judicial request to authorities abroad to seek cooperation in probe being conducted by Indian investigating agencies and the same is sent through the Legals and Treaty Division of the MEA after being veted by the Home Ministry.
"The Commission has reviewed the existing procedures which involved multiple authorities in India and abroad to execute a LR. The execution of LR solely depends on the mutual cooperation between India and the respective nation. The CVC has already proposed to set up a special cell to speed up the process," the official said.
Sources said the matter of delay in implementation of the LR had come up during a recent meeting of CBI and CVC officials to discuss ongoing probe.
They said the CBI officials have cited their concern over the slow pace of the process of execution and sought CVC help in the matter, they said.
Besides CBI, officials of Enforcement Directorate, Income Tax department among others go abroad to probe their cases.
The probity watchdog is likely to suggest to the government to empower the Director, CBI, to send teams for investigation abroad as per requirement of the case under probe.
The CVC, which exercises superintendence over the functioning of CBI in matters relating to investigation of offenses under the Prevention of Corruption Act, has been actively involved in probe in various high profile cases including 2G spectrum allocation scam and coal blocks allocation among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical