Cyclone Helen causes heavy damage in Yanam region, 1 killed
Puducherry: One fishermen was killed and extensive damage was caused in Yanam region, an enclave of this union territory in East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh, by the cyclonic storm Helen, officials said on Saturday.
Malladi Veerababu drowned when he was trying to lift the boat berthed on a river bank, official sources said.
District Collector from Puducherry S B Deepak Kumar accompanied by officials of the Agriculture and Fisheries Departments visited the cyclone hit Yanam region today and reviewed the situation.
He also made an assessment damage caused to agriculture, power and fisheries sectors by the cyclone that crossed the Andhra Pradesh coast yesterday.
Regional Administrator of Yanam R Ganesan said that standing paddy crop in more than 285 hectares was damaged and as many 485 fishing boats including mechanised vessels were totally lost in the cyclone.
Puducherry Government has assessed that the loss would be around Rs five crores.
Electrical posts were blown off in different places resulting in total power failure in Yanam during the last two days although restoration work was done on war footing now.
People from six coastal villages were evacuated and accommodated in six cyclone shelters in the region and food packets distributed to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing