Cyclone Phailin: Train services hit, Railways prepared to bounce back
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian Railways that has geared up its machinery to manage railway operations in the areas affected by cyclonic storm `Phailin` has as a precautionary measure cancelled 99 trains, including 46 mail and express trains, while 12 trains have been partially cancelled and 25 trains have been diverted so far.
The decision to further cancel/divert/partially cancel trains will be taken after regular review of the situation. Zonal railways are bringing out information bulletins informing about these developments at regular intervals. The information is being uploaded on websites of respective zonal railways. Helplines are being set up to provide information to the public. Additional refund counters are being set up to expedite fare refund.
Railways Minister Mallikarjun Kharge, who was appraised of the situation, has given instructed to the railway administration to take all precautionary measures to ensure safety and convenience of passengers.
Railway Board at headquarters-level is constantly monitoring the situation. The severely affected railway zones namely East Coast Railway (HQ- Bhubaneswar) South Central Railway (HQ-Secunderabad) South Eastern Railway (HQ-Kolkata) have activated emergency control rooms at zone level as well as at division level.
The General Managers of these zones are personally monitoring and supervising all arrangements. The other zones are also on alert to provide necessary support.
Control teams comprising of officers/supervisors and staff of different departments are active round the clock for management of emergent situation. Affected sections are being sanitized. Local emergency arrangement of food, drinking water, medical facility and relief and rescue operations have been made at concerned stations.
Diesel engines are positioned at select places as stand by. Accident Relief Train/Accident Relief Medical Equipments are being kept ready at their base stations. Power cars have been positioned at concerned locations.
Diesel Generator sets have been positioned at controlling stations for lighting and signaling purposes. Satellite phones have been provided and made functional at Zonal HQ.
Emergency stores items like – Tarpaulins, blankets, bed sheets, GI wires, gloves, Kerosene oil, torch, bleaching powder etc. have been supplied at the controlling stations. Engineering materials for relief and rescue operation have been loaded and kept ready to meet emergent requirement.
TRAINS AFFECTED DUE TO CYCLONE PHAILIN
Train No.17480 Tirupati – Puri Express scheduled to leave Tirupati at 10.35 hrs today i.e. 12.10.2013 is cancelled.
18411 Bhubaneswar-Visakhapatnam Intercity Express.
22879 Bhubaneswar-Tirupathy S/F Express.
17015 Bhubaneswar-Secunderabad Visakha Express.
17239/17240 Guntur-Visakhapatnam-Guntur Simhadri Express.
12073 Howrah-Bhubaneswar Janshatabdi Express.
12277 Howrah-Puri Shatabdi Express.
22811 Bhubaneswar-New Delhi Rajdhani Express
Train No. 11019 CST Mumbai – Bhubaneswar Express which left CST Mumbai on 11.10.2013 is partially cancelled between Rajahmundry and Bhubaneswar.
Train No. 57225 Vijayawada – Visakapatanam Passenger scheduled to leave Vijayawada at 08.25 HRS today i.e. 12.10.2013 is partially cancelled between Rajahmundry and Visakapatanam.
1 . Train No. 13352 Alleppey-Dhanbad JN Express which left Alleppey on 11.10.2013 hrs is diverted via Warangal – Ballarshah – Nagpur-Durg-Raipur-Billaspur- Jarshuguda.
2. Train No. 12864 Yesvantpur-Howrah Express which left Yesvantpur on 11.10.2013 is diverted via Warangal – Ballarshah – Nagpur-Durg-Raipur-Billaspur-Jarshuguda – Kharagpur.
3. Train No. 12509 Bangalore-Guwahati Express which left Bangalore on 11.10.2013 hrs is diverted via Warangal –Ballarshah–Nagpur-Durg-Raipur-Billaspur-Jarshuguda–Kharagpur-Howrah.
Train No. 12842 Chennai - Howrah Coromondal Express which left Chennai at 08.45 hrs., today i.e. 12.10.2013 is diverted via Warangal Ballarshah-Nagpur- Durg-Raipur-Billaspur-Jarshuguda-Kharagpur.
5. Train No.18646 Hyderabad – Howrah East Coast Express which left Hyderabad at 10.00hrs today, i.e.12.10.2013 is diverted via Ballarshah–Nagpur-Durg-Raipur-Billaspur-Jarshuguda-Kharagpur.
6. Train No.12704 Secuderabad – Howrah Falaknuma Express scheduled to leave Secuderabad at 16.00hrs today 12.10.2013 is diverted via Ballarshah – Nagpur- Durg-Raipur-Billaspur-Jarshuguda- Kharagpur.
DIVERTED VIA VIZIANAGARAM & JHARSUGUDA
2.12840 Chennai-Howrah Mail.
DIVERTED VIA CHAKRADHARPUR & BILASPUR
1.12703 Howrah-Secunderabad Falaknuma Express.
2.12245 Howrrah-Yashvantpur Duronto Express.
3.22612 Haldia-Chennai S/F Express
4.18465 Howrah-Hyderabad East Coast Express.
DIVERTED VIA ANGUL-TITLAGARH-RAIPUR
01.12508 Guwahati-Trivandrum Express
SHORT TERMINATED TRAINS
1.18464 Bangalore-Bhubaneswar Prasanti Express short-terminated at VSKP
2.17016 Secunderabad-Bhubaneswar Visakha Express short terminated at VSKP
On account of cancellation/ partial cancellation/ diversion of several trains due to Cyclone Phailin, South Central Railway has set up helpline numbers at major stations like Vijayawada, Rajahmundry, Kazipet, Warangal, Khammam and Manchiryal for passengers to seek information regarding movement of trains.
Rajahmundry: 0883-2420541, 2420543
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'